Canadian engineering group SNC-Lavalin has been awarded two sub-contracts to support Scarborough gas field development project in Western Australia (WA).
Located approximately 270km north-west of Onslow in the Carnarvon Basin in the Northwestern Shelf, the Scarborough gas field is scheduled to commence gas production in 2023.
Under the contracts, the company will provide front end engineering design support for the development of a floating production unit on the project.
The scope of both contracts includes work on the semi-submersible’s hull and moorings, model testing scoping and supervision, and ancillary scopes.
SNC-Lavalin will also responsible for technical safety, formal safety assessment and risk engineering services for engineering design activities of Scarborough.
SNC-Lavalin Resources president Craig Muir said: “We are delighted to be able to demonstrate the breadth of our offshore oil & gas and project execution expertise to our clients globally following the acquisition of Atkins and its subsidiary Houston Offshore Engineering.
“Bringing together the floating platform design expertise of our Houston Offshore Engineering team with the renowned technical safety and risk engineering offered by our Atkins team in Perth, allows us to provide Scarborough with world class offshore engineering solutions, while meeting the scheduling demands critical to the success of this semi-submersible facility, the second of its kind in Australian waters.”
The firm’s Houston Offshore Engineering subsidiary and its Atkins business based in Western Australia will undertake the contract works.
The two contracts include the option to extend to detailed design engineering, pending the final investment decision, which is expected to be taken by the Scarborough Joint Venture (JV) in 2020.
Woodside will operate the Scarborough field with 75% stake while the remaining 25% interest is held by BHP Billiton.
Situated in the WA-1-R license in water depths of 900m to 1,500m, the field is estimated to host 7.3 trillion cubic feet of natural gas reserves.
The Scarborough field development plan includes the drilling of 12 daisy-chained subsea gas wells, which will be tied-back to a semisubmersible platform moored in 900m of water.