Emera subsidiary Clean Power Northeast Development is seeking Presidential Permit from the US Department of Energy for the development of 1GW Atlantic Link subsea electric transmission project.
The proposed Atlantic high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission interconnection will be designed to deliver wind and hydro power from Atlantic Canada directly to Massachusetts, US.
Emera Major Renewables and Alternative Energy executive vice-president Dan Muldoon said: “The request for a Presidential Permit is a significant milestone for Atlantic Link to ensure we continue to stay on track with our project schedule.
“Atlantic Link is a reliable, cost-effective solution to help Massachusetts meet its energy diversity and greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals.
“This transmission line’s direct connection to Massachusetts will ensure benefits such as energy, taxes, construction activity and low income programs all stay with Massachusetts residents and electricity customers.”
Emera said that the Presidential Permit is required to allow the construction, connection, operation and maintenance of the 375-mile transmission line between the US and Canada.
The US federal government agencies will now initiates a formal review of the project which includes assessing environmental impacts as well as impact on electric reliability.
Scheduled to be commissioned is late 2022, the subsea cable would run from Coleson Cove, New Brunswick in Canada to Plymouth, Massachusetts.
The Atlantic Link is expected to deliver 5.69 terawatt hours (TWh) of clean energy annually for 20 years at a fixed price.
Emera said that the project would receive approximately 70% of the energy from seven wind farms planned to be built in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with the remaining 30% from two hydro plants suppliers Nalcor Energy and NB Power in Atlantic Canada.
NB Power has an option to acquire minority stake in the Atlantic Link project, which include construction of converter facilities and substations in Plymouth and at Coleson Cove.
Image: The new transmission interconnection will deliver wind and hydro power from Atlantic Canada to Massachusetts, US. Photo: courtesy of Jearayuth/FreeDigitalPhotos.net.