Brazilian state oil company Petrobras has awarded a contract to McDermott International to deliver subsea risers and flowlines for the Sepia field located 280km from the Rio de Janeiro coastline in Brazil.
Under the contract, McDermott will be responsible for engineering, procurement, construction and installation of subsea risers and flowlines for the first phase of the Sepia field.
The scope of work includes detailed engineering, surveys, supply, installation and pre-commissioning of rigid pipelines, jumpers, buoyance modules, strakes and riser monitoring systems for seven-riser wells.
The project, which include three producers and four injector wells, are connected to the floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) Carioca vessel.
McDermott North, Central and South America senior vice-president Mark Coscio said: “McDermott has had a strong presence in Brazil going back more than four decades, and we see tremendous opportunity for growth in the region.
“We will use our first-class assets and proven track record to deliver the highest levels of safety, quality and cost-efficiency during the first phase of this important greenfield development.”
McDermott’s Rio de Janeiro office will perform the contract work, which will also be supported by the firm’s Houston office.
The firm said it plans to use five vessels for the installation work at ultra-deepwater depths up to 7,021ft, and commence engineering work immediately.
The first phase forms part of a 15-well Sepia field development located in the pre-salt layer of the Santos Basin in Block BM-S-24. Production from the field is scheduled to commence in 2021.
Block BM-S-24 is jointly owned by operator Petrobas with 80% stake and Galp Energia’s subsidiary Petrogal Brasil holding the remaining 20% interest.
The Brazilian company plans to deploy the Modec-built FPSO vessel at the Sépia field, for 21-year period.
The FPSO will have capacity to process 180,000 barrels of crude oil per day, 212 million standard cubic feet of gas per day, 240,000 barrels of water injection per day. It has storage capacity of 1,400,000 barrels of crude oil.
As part of charter deal signed in October 2017, Modec will be responsible for the engineering, procurement, construction, mobilization, installation and operation of the FPSO, including topsides processing equipment as well as hull and marine systems.