The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has granted Equinor Energy AS a drilling permit for well 25/6-6 S, cf. Section 15 of the Resource Management Regulations.
The well will be drilled from the Transocean Spitsbergen drilling facility in position 59°30’35.21″N and 02°54’50.74″E after completing the drilling of wildcat well 36/1-3 in the northern part of the North Sea.
The drilling programme for well 25/6-6 S relates to the drilling of wildcat wells in production licence 870, where Equinor Energy AS is the operator with an ownership interest of 80 per cent. The other licensee is Faroe Petroleum Norge AS (20 per cent).
The area in this licence consists of a part of blocks 25/6, 25/9 and 26/7. The well will be drilled about 18 kilometres southeast of the Skirne field in the central part of the North Sea.
Production licence 870 was awarded on 10 February 2017 (APA 2016). This is the first exploration well to be drilled in the current licence, but two wildcat wells have previously been drilled within the licence area.
The permit is contingent on the operator securing all other permits and consents required by other authorities prior to commencing the drilling activity.
Source: Company Press Release